K-2 will explicitly teach Phonics and Phonemic Awareness using Countdown (Kdg), Blast (1st) and HD Word (2nd) as part of the core literacy instruction.
- Phonics instruction is taught explicitly
- Phonics instruction focuses on reading words and connected text, not learning rules
- Phonics instruction contains repeated opportunities to apply skill acquisition to reading and writing
- Kindergarten will introduce letters and letter sounds in the alphabet using the scope and sequence from Countdown.
- K-1 will teach High Frequency Words that align with the scope and sequence of Countdown and Blast. Jan Richardson’s four step approach to teaching sight words will be used in whole group and small group to introduce and review words.