K-2 will explicitly teach Phonics and Phonemic Awareness using Countdown (Kdg), Blast (1st) and HD Word (2nd) as part of the core literacy instruction.
- Phonics instruction is taught explicitly
- Phonics instruction focuses on reading words and connected text, not learning rules
- Phonics instruction contains repeated opportunities to apply skill acquisition to reading and writing
- Kindergarten will introduce letters and letter sounds in the alphabet using the scope and sequence from Countdown.
- K-1 will teach High Frequency Words that align with the scope and sequence of Countdown and Blast. Jan Richardson’s four step approach to teaching sight words will be used in whole group and small group to introduce and review words.
- Phonological awareness instruction is taught explicitly
- Phonological awareness is a powerful predictor of success in learning to read and learning to spell
- Phonological awareness instruction contains repeated opportunities to apply skill acquisition to reading and writing
- The goal is for students to be able to identify, analyze/apply, and manipulate the different skills
3rd Grade will explicitly teach Syllable Routines using the Multisyllabic Routines Cards (MSRC).
Syllable instruction/Review for Grades 4-8 will be done during RtI Intervention.